Saturday, January 3, 2009

January 3 - "The Sister"

“The Sister”
by Miranda July
No One Belongs Here More Than You (2007)

* * (Okay) Realistic

An older man becomes fascinated with the promised meeting of a co-worker’s sister. Recalling tales told from long ago of pretty sisters a man must meet; the narrator becomes more and more desperate to meet this mysterious sister always hiding just beyond his reach. He finds what he least expects.

Short stories are often known for their twist endings. This story takes a turn I didn’t expect and it left me a little put off. It was not that the prose was poor – the writing, especially the stream of conscious writing of the narrator’s thoughts, was great – but ending didn’t appeal to me. And this may just be a case where in not catching the message of the story, I don’t understand the ending.

I admit that I’m an entertainment first reader, message or moral or greater meaning be damned.

No comments: