Thursday, January 1, 2009

Inspiration

I came up with the idea a few weeks ago to read a short story a day - every day – during the year 2009. I knew I enjoyed the format. I was pretty sure I had more than enough short story collections not-yet-read sitting on my shelf. It was simply a matter of “is this possible?

I didn’t want to start something so ambitious and then quit after a week, or month.

I wasn’t entirely sure I could do this – wanted to do this – until I read the comic, Fables: 1001 Nights of Snowfall. In the comic the main character, Snow White, has to entertain through stories to keep her head, the same as in the original Arabian Nights tale.

And I thought…

I thought, yes. This is possible. I can – and will – read a (short) story a night for the next 365 days. I’ll keep my head – I’ll save myself – through stories.

No comments: