Thursday, January 1, 2009

The Format for Now & "The Bees"

Here is a sample of how you can expect to see the stories reviewed/discussed for the time being. As things do do, I’m sure even this will change over the course of 365 stories.

When I first thought of this endeavor, I knew the story I would begin with. As I’ve already enjoyed this story (7 years ago), it doesn’t count for anything more than an example. I just hope to experience stories as impressive in this adventure I’m beginning.
---

“The Bees”
by Dan Chaon
McSweeney’s Mammoth Treasury of Thrilling Tales (2002)

* * * * * (Excellent) Supernatural

It’s the scream that stays with him. The kind of scream you never want to hear from your child. Gene’s son wakes him up some nights with a scream that has brought back memories of his past life. A life of drinking and actions he is not proud to remember. Gene is haunted by his first son. A boy who suffered. A boy in search of revenge?

As Gene’s life slowly begins to unravel over the course of 18 pages I became increasingly unnerved. The suspense builds, the terror silently sneaks up on you. I think it’s the words that work their magic here. From the feeling they convey of bees trapped inside a child’s head - tapping and buzzing - just trying to escape, to the bird-like affectations and over-the-shoulder glances in search of his stealthily odd first son, to the restless rubbing of feet together under the covers of a man unable to find comfort, the words craft images and scenes that build a truly suspenseful and horrific tale.

I’m trying to think of a scarier short story and I can’t.

No comments: