Friday, January 2, 2009

January 2 - "Lie Big"

“Lie Big”
by Davy Rothbart
The Lone Surfer of Montana, Kansas (2005)

* * * (Good) Realistic

Mitey-Mike believed in the power of lies. No matter the size or occasion, Mitey-Mike found lying the easiest answer to any problem. The narrator of the story never saw the harm in Mitey-Mike’s lies until he caught Mike trying to explain his way out of a rather awkward situation involving a girl – his girl.

This is a case where the subject matter of the story instantly elevates my enjoyment. Lies are fun and wonderful things. Those lies that blossom into stories all their own are exquisite little flowers of deceit. As my introduction to this author, “Lie Big,” captured my attention. There are some well-crafted sentences and a pace that whips you right on through to the end. A fun little story with characters I feel I could find – and hang out with – right next door.

No comments: