Monday, January 26, 2009

January 26 - "Girl of My Dreams"

“Girl of My Dreams”
by Richard Matheson
Button, Button: Uncanny Stories (2008)

* * (Okay) Supernatural

Carrie has nightmares, and Greg wouldn’t have it any other way. A particularly gruesome nightmare leads the couple into the more wealthy part of town, and Greg decides after this last scheme he may no longer need the company of a woman he finds so disgusting.

A little dated (originally published in 1961), this story still has some spooky elements that resonate even now, years later. I enjoy stories that make me question how I’d react in a specific situation. Greg, however, is not a nice character. It’s difficult to enjoy a story where the lead is so despicable. The ending is fitting, but there was simply too much of Greg’s evil personality that the story lost some of its impact through my utter dislike of the main character. If the idea were only presented in a different manner – from a different point of view? – it might have worked better for me.

No comments: