Monday, March 30, 2009

March 30 - "Something That Needs Nothing"

“Something That Needs Nothing”
by Miranda July
No One Belongs Here More Than You (2007)

* (Eh) Realistic

Two girls – one in love with the other – move away from home to find the world of jobs, rent, and love more difficult than either imagined.

So not in the mood for angsty, morose narrators. I actually enjoyed this same story when it was written as Diablo Cody’s memoir, Candy Girl - it was far less depressing. To be honest, they are nothing alike aside from the fact that each feature a stint in a peep show booth. I have a love/hate – more hate as I progress – relationship with this collection by July. These stories just aren’t for me. I must be too dissimilar to the characters and lives and feelings laid bare here to make the necessary connection. Which is unusual because I can easily find some connection with most stories I read. The banker, the assassin, the demon, the cops and robbers, etc. – there is always something to keep me entertained and engaged. In July, I am lost.

No comments: