Monday, March 2, 2009

March 2 - "Minor Robberies"

“Minor Robberies”
by Deb Olin Unferth
Minor Robberies (2007)

* (Eh) Realistic

Two sisters argue over the number of times they were robbed while on a trip.

Not the way to start a week. This story was confusing and packed very little enjoyment. It was difficult to keep track of which sister was speaking or thinking, which in the mere page of story seems unacceptable to me. Also, only one sentence, out of many, sang. The words and story lay lifelessly on the page, flat and unmoving. I understand that the minor robberies – the trinkets, the unknown and even imaginary – somehow matter, to someone, but this story robbed me of the opportunity to find joy in my reading tonight. And I can’t help but be disappointed. I was robbed by reading.

No comments: