Sunday, March 1, 2009

March 1 - "Stationary Bike"

Sundays with Uncle Stevie
“Stationary Bike”
by Stephen King
Just After Sunset (2008)

* * * * * (Excellent) Supernatural

After a visit to the doctor, and the red, highlighted cholesterol number on his test results, Richard Sifkitz purchases a stationary bike. At first the rides last no longer than 15 minutes, but soon – after painting a projection of a road through the woods on the beige wall in front of the bike – the rides become more frequent and intense. It is only after the projection begins to change that Richard starts to fear what might be following him on these rides along the path toward a healthier life.

It’s an amazing thing when you connect with a story, when your life and thoughts mix with those of another, imaginary (character) or real (author). “Stationary Bike” follows a man obsessed by riding a stationary bike squirreled away in the basement of his So-Ho loft – not obsessed by the act of exercise, but by the journey along an imaginary road maintained by a crew of “metabolic workmen,” a metaphor tossed at him by his doctor while attempting to inspire the man to change his habits, to live a healthier, longer life. I’ve become a bit obsessed with my many pursuits this year – some would say overly so – but I feel as though I’ve changed in mostly positive ways. Still, it is eerie – and fascinating and enjoyable – to have a story so echo your life.

It is a story about obsession, and its cost. I’ve been thinking some about this during my 8 or 9 hours of working out each week, and I’m not sure what the answer is, what the proper balance should be. I’m going to spoil the ending – not something I tend to do normally – but in this case I must: you have to enjoy all of life, you must “allow yourself a little bit of everything.” Words to live by, Mr. King, a balance to strive toward.

No comments: