Friday, February 20, 2009

February 20 - "Real Life"

“Real Life”
by Donald Ray Pollock
Knockemstiff (2008)

* * * * * (Excellent) Realistic

In the restroom of a drive-in movie theater, young Bobby learns how to beat a man while watching his drunk father let loose over an issue of cussing.

This collection is a recent addition, and has turned out, so far, to be well worth the price. The title was what caught my eye, Knockemstiff. It helped to have a blurb from Chuck Palahniuk (Lullaby, Fight Club) on the cover as well. Reading the jacket I learned that the stories were centered on a small town and the real, somewhat crazy, folks living there. I like collections in which the characters cross between stories – especially if the characters are as fascinating and unique as the few I met in this first story. The dialogue, the pain and suffering (struggle is a trait I imagine I’ll see throughout this collection), and the truth of small town life, are what give these characters their personality and depth. There’s one scene with an Oscar Mayer wiener that seems so absurd, so sad and embarrassing, that you can’t help but flinch and feel sympathy in the same moment. It is moments like these – and there are many in this 12-page story – that tell me I’m in for a treat with this collection.

No comments: