Thursday, February 19, 2009

February 19 - "Deb Olin Unferth"

“Deb Olin Unferth”
by Deb Olin Unferth
Minor Robberies (2007)

* * * * * (Excellent) Memoir

No one – or very few people – thinks Deb Olin Unferth is a f*ckup.

This hardly counts as a story. It reads more like a list, but it is written with an attention to sentence rhythm and flow. What makes me smile is the repeated and hilarious use of the word, “f*ckup.” I just may be that juvenile, but in the end, the story does carry meaning, has a purpose. When it comes down to it, as hated or loved or ignored or praised as a person may be, when you consider the world, or even the country, state, or city in which you live, other’s thoughts about of you are but a drop in the sea.

[I struggled over the decision to edit this post due to the language. "The Word" in question is a prominent and important part of the story, and I personally have no qualms about its use. However, this is a public blog that could be accessed by anyone, and consideration and compromise is part of public life. In the end, I'm okay with my decision - even thought I felt the need to justify it - and I won't mention it again.]

No comments: